- Surrounded by bodies of water
- Major port for cruise ships
- Wide use of ferry transportation
- 7 separate transit agencies operating on the one system
In order to better coordinate transportation in Seattle and Puget Sound, Washington, VIX implemented a smart card-based fare collection system. The new system, launched in April 2009 is known as the Regional Fare Coordination System (RFCS) and has streamlined transportation, enabling it to be controlled centrally.
This is a great improvement on the seven separate transit agencies that previously operated transportation in these areas.
As part of the upgrade, VIX also developed separate stakeholder websites, making the service more accessible and convenient for all. The new system, which connects 62 cities and towns across 6500 square miles, is expected to handle around 190 million passenger journeys per year.
- Vix Seattle Case Study (PDF 1.26 MB)